Traveling to the city of Madrid in Spain
Madrid is a city with an exact balance. It gives you a lot of elegance, as well as freedom without prejudices, a historical and artistic culture, as well as a vibrant nightlife.
In Madrid, you can find everything for everyone. From large shops, incredible landscapes, and beautiful monuments to great fun, typical of Spanish culture.
Enjoy and absorb the wisdom and perfection of this beautiful city, through its gastronomy, walking and getting lost in its streets, and enjoying everything it offers you.
What is the Best Time to travel to Madrid?
In Spring (March to June) and Autumn (September to December) are the best months to travel since summer is too hot and winter is too cold.
Recommended days to visit the city of Madrid.
Probably the time necessary to get to know and live Madrid’s culture should be from 3 to 5 days. This city offers you varied panoramas, and you can also get to know Toledo, a city that is close and easy to get to and from the capital, which offers you a surprising history and architecture as well.
How to get from the Airport to the city in Madrid?
From the airport, which is about 13km away from the city center. You can take taxis (30 euros), a metro (5 euros), a train (3 euros), and buses (5 euros).
What to do or visit in the city of Madrid?
- Puerta del Sol in Madrid (Sun’s gate). It is a square in the city center, surrounded by the main shopping streets. It has several statues, among them, that of “Bear and strawberry tree” which is a typical symbol in Madrid.
- Main Square. It is located also in the city center of Madrid. It is a large square surrounded by historical buildings, which can be enjoyed both day and night. It is also a great place to go for tapas since various options of bars and restaurants are offered.
- Royal Palace. An imposing and essential place to visit in Madrid. It is one of the largest palaces in Europe. Inside, you can see the great halls and royal rooms. And on the outside, it is surrounded by the Campo del Moro and Sabatini gardens, where you will get the best photos and you can get lost touring.
- Best museums in Madrid. Del Prado Museum (Contains the most important masterpieces. Outside this museum, you can find the beautiful botanical garden), Reina Sofía Museum (Contains works by great artists such as Picasso, Miró, Dalí, among others), Thyssen Museum (Also contains works great artists such as Picasso, Munch, Van Gogh, among others).
- El Retiro Park. This park is the most famous and popular in Madrid. Here, you can take boat trips, relax in nature and marvel at the glass palace. In one of the exits (or entrances) of this park, you find the Puerta de Alcalá, the first triumphal arch built after the fall of the Roman Empire. If you continue down through Calle Alcalá, you come across the beautiful fountains of Cibeles and Neptuno.
- Gran Vía. The most famous street in Madrid. It gathers historical buildings, great theaters and big shops with the best and most popular brands. Here, you can go around and find everything you can imagine.
- Debod Temple. It’s an Egyptian temple donated to Spain. It is a quiet place, where you can enjoy the most beautiful sunset and a great view of the biggest monuments in the city. Very close to here you can take a cable car to Casa de Campo (Madrid’s largest park, where you can get lost touring the lake, and enjoying the zoo or the amusement park).
- Santiago Bernabeu Stadium. It is the stadium of the internationally known Real Madrid soccer team.
- 100 Montaditos. One of the typical places to try the classic montaditos, a bread base loaded with whatever you want.
- San Miguel market. It’s the main market in Madrid, where you can try and marvel at the typical dishes of the city, as potato tortilla, a Spanish Chorizo and much more.
- Neighborhoods in Madrid. This city presents different alternative neighborhoods where every day you can enjoy the nightlife and different artistic expressions. These are Malasaña, Chueca, La Latina, and Las Letras. Now if you are interested in a more lively or “top” party, you cannot miss the 7-story disco “Kapital” or “meet” (which is called The best disco in Madrid), and “Teatro Barceló” where you will surely live an unforgettable party.
Some Other cities in Europe
If you want to know more about other cities in Europe, click on the one you like.