Traveling to the city of Quetzaltenango, in Guatemala
This city in the middle of small hills that makes you feel like you traveled to the past. A stimulating place that can sometimes seem overwhelming. A large cathedral in the center, nearby thermal baths, and close to volcanoes. This is what make this city attractive to visitors.
A good destination for those who like to watch from above, and for those who are looking for a place to rest. Great if you come from San Cristóbal de las Casas in Mexico.
Best Time to Travel to Quetzaltenango City. The temperature is pleasant all year round. The dry season occurs from November to April, so your plans are less likely to be ruined by the rain.
How many Days to visit the city of Quetzaltenango. Depending on what you want to do, one day is enough for the city itself. To visit the Santa María volcano or the hot springs, you need one more day.
The airport in the city of Quetzaltenango. Quetzaltenango is the second-largest city in Guatemala and it has an airport. But the most convenient thing would be to get to Guatemala City and taking a bus from there. Tickets from Guatemala City by plane are around 130 USD. By bus, less than 20 USD.
What to do or what to visit in the city of Quetzaltenango?
- Santa María Volcano. A volcano that requires a relatively high physical level, especially in the last section. The tour should take around 7 hours, with stunning views.
- Climb the Santiaguito Volcano. It is one of the easiest active volcanoes in the world, but it is common that due to its activity or the climate, access is restricted. You can reach the top in less than two hours. You have to be patient many times to witness greatness.
- Cerro Quemado Volcano. High difficulty volcano, you will need about 8 hours in total.
- Cathedral of the Holy Spirit or Los Altos in Quetzaltenango. A very nice church in the heart of the city. It stands out for its architecture with domes, striking columns, and colorful stained glass windows.
- Georgian hot springs. The most famous thermal bath in the area. It has 7 bath options, a nice path if you want to do some trekking and the possibility of staying there if you want. It’s in the middle of nature, it’s very beautiful.
- Central America Park in Quetzaltenango. A good place to take a walk and admire its architecture.
- Cerro Baúl Hill. A national park on a loin of lava, perfect to get in touch with nature. Ideal for a walk or practicing sports.
Other Guatemala Cities
If you want to know more about other cities in amazing Guatemala, click and enter the one that interests you most.