Ninh Binh and its overflowing nature.
This destination is dreamy. Similar to what happens in Halong Bay, but instead of the sea and the impressive islands, now the landscapes designed by nature are manifested in a river and on the land. If you have ever been to an amusement park and you have boarded the typical boat that travels through waters in a dark room, now you can really do it, crossing several km through caves, and the abundant forest present in the place. Again, having the freedom of a motorcycle is recommended. If you feel comfortable cycling, you can also get to most places on them. Ninh Binh is located less than 100 km away from Hanoi. Within Ninh Binh, the Tam Coc area is the most touristic part, so you can get cheaper prices and you are closer to most of the touristic attractions.
Recommended days to visit Ninh Binh, in Vietnam. The place is amazing, so if you decide to stay for several days, you will always have something to do. But the minimum is at least a day or two so you can do not only the boat trip but also, going to the Tam Coc viewpoint, and doing a little tour around the city.
The airport in Ninh Binh. Hanoi Airport is about 110 Km. away, but the nearest airport is Tho Xuan Airport (THD) which is about 70 km.
What to do in Ninh Binh, in Vietnam
- To explore the area by boat is one of the obligatory things of the place. The most famous is the one located in Tam Coc, but perhaps it’s more advisable going to Trang An, since it is less known and it has bigger caves. At least in my experience, I found Trang An much better than Tam Coc. Known as the Halong Bay land, you will discover breathtaking landscapes. What is most striking about boat rides is that the majority of those who row are women, and also highlights that they do it with their feet.
- Another option that I didn’t know, but some other travelers recommend is Van Long, A place similar to Tam Coc and Trang An, but with fewer people or even no people at all, allowing you to enjoy the silence and magic of the place at a deeper level.
- Mua Cave and the Amazing View. The cave is not really impressive but you should come to this place as it is very good. From the top, you can see some spectacular views of the Tam Coc river.
- Bich Dong Pagoda. It has a beautiful entrance with lotus flowers, and the pagoda, embedded in the hill, has a very natural vibe.
- There was always a cheap beer option in Vietnam, but by far the best one we had in all Vietnam was Ninh Binh’s. Eating in one of the restaurants in Tam Coc or Ninh Binh, which in addition to being very tasty, they are very cheap.
- Bai Dinh Pagoda. It is a gigantic place, where you can easily spend all day touring. There are several temples, giant Buddhas, and places that stand out for different reasons. It is located on the outskirts of Ninh Binh.
- The Bird park. A park full of trails to get lost in nature and mainly enjoy the birds in a free environment. Near to the end of the park you can see several rare species such as storks. It is recommended to go in the evening since it’s when the birds move around. Arrive at least 1 hour before, since you have to walk a long time to observe the birds. There are boating available as well.
Other Cities of Vietnam
If you want to know more about the amazing cities of Vietnam, click and enter the city you prefer.