Traveling to the city of Florence in Italy
This was for us the most incredible city in Italy, and surely one of those cities that you must know before you die if you like to travel.
A city overflowed with art and incredible things. As if the incredible gastronomy of the country were not enough, with the possibility of eating the best ice creams, pizzas, and pasta in the world, you also can experience the great works of Miguel Ángel and other artists that can be appreciated just walking through the streets of the city center.
The Duomo of Florence hides one of the great architectural enigmas of the world, where Brunelleschi built the cupola of Santa Maria del Fiore in an almost miraculous way. Even today it is extensively studied due to the difficulty of the feat. What undoubtedly involved a great leap to stand out as one of the great cities of that time.
Best Time or moment to travel to Florence. If you don’t like the cold, April to September is when you can find the best weather. The months of June and July is high season, so if you want to avoid many people, avoid high seasons.
Days to visit the city of Florence. Two or three days is enough to see the most relevant of the city and experience what it means to be in “Firenze”.
Airport to the city in Florence. Florence airport is less than 5 km away from the city, so it’s very easy to get to and from here. You can get to the city by tram, which is the cheapest option; by bus, which is the fastest option; or by taxi, if you prefer comforts or if you are in a group.
What to do or what to visit in the city of Florence?
- Cathedral Santa Maria del Fiore or Duomo of Florence. This is the main religious center of the city, which stands out for its impressive infrastructure. The dome, the work of Filippo Brunelleschi, is study material even today, due to the difficult feat of building such a large dome. A clear symbol of power and wealth of that time.
- The Ponte Vecchio. A bridge built in medieval times over the Arno river. Without a doubt one of the postcards of the city.
- Gallery degli Uffizi. One of the most visited museums in the world, which contains one of the oldest art collections in the world.
- David by Michelangelo. One of the most famous statues in the world, which represents David, before facing Goliath. The original is in the Accademia Gallery in Florence. There is a slightly smaller copy in the plaza de la señoria, where it was originally located. Also, there is one in Piazzale Michelangelo.
- Piazzale Michelangelo, one of the stops we recommend the most because you can get very nice views of the city.
- Plaza de la Señoría. The heart of the city, a place full of sculptures with details that will blow your mind. Here you can also see and visit the Palazzo Vecchio,
- Boboli Garden. A famous garden in the city behind the Pitti Palace, which was built by the Pitti family, and improved by their rivals, the Medicis, who later bought the palace.
- Palaces and Churches. If you like architecture, there are countless places that are also worth visiting, such as the Baptistery of Saint John, the Basilic of the Holy Cross, Basilica of Saint Mary Novella, the Church of Saint Lawrence, the Medici Chapel, Church of the Holy Spirit, the Strozzi Palace, the Neptune Fountain, the Vasari Corridor, and the Medici Riccardi Palace.
Some Other cities in Europe
If you want to know more about other cities in Europe, click on the one you like.